May 1st was National Day to Prevent Teen Pregnancy. ME NOW Teen Ambassadors and teens from Project WORTH, UT Teen Health, Girl’s Inc. and BCFS (Baptist Child and Family Services), mapped their future to 2020. The teens presented their poster exhibit their vision for 2020 and the strategies it will take to reduce teen pregnancy. Teens presented posters in the areas of: Parent Involvement, Prevention Messaging, Evidenced-Based Programs, Teens Access to Healthcare Services, and partnerships with the Foster Case and Juvenile Justice Systems. THANK YOU TEEN!S
#ICYMI check out their poster exhibit here Nat’l Day Posters 2013.
A special thank you to Mayor Julián Castro Darryl Byrd, CEO of SA2020, and Public Library Director Ramiro Salazar for being a part of this special day.
How do you score? Take the National Day Quiz at www.StayTeen.org
This year, quiz-takers can design their own avatar and consider what decision they would make about sex — before they have to make it! Teens, grab your parents and take the quiz together.
Take the quiz and be entered to win a $25 iTunes Gift Card
When is the right time to become a parent?
Teens speak out openly and honestly about their experience of becoming a parent during their teenage years. Check out the video,Demasiado Joven (Too Young), from the National Campaign to Prevent Teen and Unplanned Pregnancy.
Here’s another video of teens talking about their journey as teen parents.
So if not then…when is the right time to become a parent? That’s what ME NOW …baby later is all about! Learning, dreaming, having fun and waiting to be a parent until the right time for YOU! So tell us, when is the right time for YOU?
What about “The Talk”?
You know the one we’re talking about, the dreaded sex talk. What do I say? How do I say it? When do I say it? How do I make it less awkward? Teens offer a few tips to parents about talking to your teens about sex. First tip…make it more than just one talk. Check out the video below.
ME NOW…baby later
ME NOW… baby later is all about giving you control over your life , so you can enjoy your teen years and become who you want to be—
It is about
- Being able to do what you want to do, have fun, and be with friends.
- Getting and completing your education, and discovering what your talents are.
- Giving you the time to develop healthy relationships and learn about love.
- Thinking about your goals and dreams and creating your future.
ME NOW… baby later is also about helping you avoid early parenthood.
- It is about giving you accurate information, so you can make healthy choices
- Babies are wonderful, but they need a lot of attention day and night– and they cost money!
- Many young parents work hard to care for their children. But being a teen parent makes it harder on both the parents and the children.
- If you are already a parent, it is about avoiding another pregnancy too soon or before you are ready.
ME NOW… baby later is all about WHY and HOW to delay parenthood until it is the right time for you and your family.
Now is YOUR time…to learn and dream and have fun.
WAIT to be a parent.
ME NOW… baby later is a project of the Healthy Futures Alliance, Project WORTH, and Metro Health.